DIY Gemstone Finials

I think I mentioned in my post about my agate accent wall that my father was a jeweler of precious and semi-precious stones, and as a result I also really love to have them in my life and in my home.  He was a true gem and mineral enthusiast, sometimes even mining the stones he worked with himself.  My childhood summers were often spent in pursuit of adventure and rocks...poking around ancient abandoned turquoise mines in New Mexico, or visiting the Ozark mountains where we dug our own smoky quartz crystals straight from the hillsides.

L. CONKLIN GALLERY
In fact I have a magnificent obelisk-like quartz that sits in my living room, a memento from that summer.
Add caption
So a gemstone lamp finial DIY was right up my ally.  I chose clear quartz crystal for my bedside table lamps, and I made a pair of red coral finials for another project, but the possibilities are endless.  How amazing are these gemstone finials, all by Hillary Thomas Designs?  The malachite is my very favorite, and right on point with Pantone's color of the year, emerald.  
MALACHITE
AGATE
AGATE
AGATE
AGATE
AGATE
AGATE
LAPIS LAZULI







I also think using bits of coral, or small carved figurines would lend an exotic flair to any lamp.

Photo
RUZETTI & GOW
FOR THE LOVE OF THE HOUSE.BLOGSPOT
B&P Lamp Pink Carved Stone Elephant Finial, 1/4-27F
B&P LAMP
I found the perfect pronged brass finials from this ebay seller and I sourced the crystals on ebay too, although those auctions are always changing so just search for quartz crystals, agate slices, or coral fragments and find the size you need (not too large, chunky or heavy or the prongs won't support it.) You can usually also find small crystals, slices of agate, and fragments of red coral at your local bead store.  
My go-to glue any time I need to glue something with a super strong bond is 5-minute Epoxy from the hardware or craft store.  It's the kind with 2 different liquids that you mix together and use before it hardens.  (It's fabulous for gluing broken porcelain because you can get a nearly seamless repair and it dries perfectly clear.)  Dab a generous glob of it in the center of the prongs and then sort of sink the stone into it and hold in place until the glue starts to set up (about 5 minutes, as the name suggests.)  Epoxy residue won't wash off your hands (or anything else) with soap and water, but rubbing alcohol does the trick.
I love the way the crystal lights up and the facets absolutely gleam when the lamp is turned on!  



It's a very subtle detail at a distance, but design is in the details, so they say, and in this case I would have to agree.




Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Utterly marvelous!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...