SWIRLY AGATE WALLS

Recently I re-styled the nook where my bar sits in the dining room.  I don't have a great "before" shot, but here's a close-up of the old wall color...or I should say, one of the wall colors.  It's a small accent wall and I must have re-painted it half a dozen times, partly because it was a snap to do, and partly because I never loved ANY of the colors I tried there.

 
Through it's many incarnations, I had considered going with something other than paint, such as a mirorr installation...not in a bad 80s way, but in a good way, like this:
 
LONNY

Lisasherry01
LONNY

CHRISTINA MURPHEY
 I do love the combo of glitzy, reflective mirrors hung behind a bar stocked with lots of sparkly accoutrements....in this case though I wanted something a little different. It's a small accent wall, and a bit tucked away, so I felt I could be riskier with it.  I was loving these swirly, marbled, agate-like walls ...

 
 
UNKNOWN
 This powder room featured in Lonny Mag clinched it for me, and it also used the same paper I planned to use because of the silver, grey, gold, and black tones.  This one actually seems to have a lot more black in it than mine does, which makes it even more dramatic.

DIY Marble Walls
LONNY

Lonny Magazine - Marble Covered Walls
LONNY

I wasn't 100% sure how much I would love this in my house so instead of using a paste or glue I just used these little 3M sticky mounting squares.  I papered the wall with this marbled art paper in the black/gold/silver color combo.

And this is how it turned out!  Layering a sunburst mirror (from HomeGoods) on the wall helps to anchor it all, and I truly love the end result.  The colors are understated (in keeping with the rest of my home's palette) but the pattern is pretty wild, making it just the right amount of "statement" for my bar nook.

Photo by Bethany Nauert

 
Photo by Bethany Nauert

Photo by Bethany Nauert
Photobucket

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you checked to see if I was paying attention! ID can feel so serious when "fancy" folks start debating it. It's nice to see someone who can lighten the mood and still deliver on style...great post!

Anonymous said...

where did you buy this paper from? i love the one you found and want to do this in my powder room.

Rosa said...

I used this paper in the black, gold and silver colorway:

http://www.PaperMojo.com/Pirouette-Marbled-Paper--Black-Gold-Silver_p_2945.html

I'd love to see photos when you've completed your powder room project! Maybe I can post a follow-up on the blog :)

Chantal {My Style Republic} said...

Wow, that looks amazing@

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...