DIY CUBE OTTOMAN POUF

So I know you've seen many of these great dhurrie poufs from places like West Elm.  There's something I love about the slightly squishy, deconstructed cube shape and the slightly gruff ruggy (totally a word) texture makes you want to just kick it to your favorite spot and plop down, utterly comfortable and casual.





I needed a footstool to accompany my diy nursery rocking chair, and I felt like I could create a similar look for practically nothing with a milk crate and some $3 Ikea throw rugs.  




I don't know if these are still in stores, but they're a great cotton dhurrie weave and I bet you could find a substitute.

The exposed seams make this project such a breeze.  I simply wrapped a milk crate in some poly batting and stapled it on...




Then cut the throw rugs into squares a few inches larger than the milk crate.




Using a giant needle and some thick cotton string, I started stitching the squares together right in place...




The seams are exposed and supposed to show all the stitching and look a little rough, so I just did a round stitch all along the edges...so simple!







The one step I WISH I'd taken but didn't was to use my sewing machine just to stitch a "fray stop" seam along the CUT edges of the rug before I handstitched the pieces together...this would have prevented the slight loosening and fraying of the weave that has happened to mine after the fact.  See what I mean?  Live and learn.


I like that way the seams are all a little rough and frayed and chunky....





Here's the finished look!  This little ottoman took almost no time, no money, and has been invaluable to me during countless hours of nursing and rocking my little babe  :) 







Photobucket

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Rosa, What a great idea! Such a nice addition to your son's room. I love your blog and recently featured it on my blog. Have a great weekend.

aligater said...

I'm so very jealous of your ottoman. This is very high on my "to do" list to try and make one for my son's room.

Rae said...

Great ottoman! Followed it to your blog from Apartment Therapy. Love it!

Lewis N. Clark said...

Great ottoman! Followed it to your blog from Apartment Therapy. Love it! website design westchester ny

Fiverr Work said...

Likes substantially improve the name of the site and using the great amount depend; numerous of us will most likely be drawn to your account. The companies that provide these pro products and services, will offer you with non-automated or robot likes and provide you with true Instagram likes. cheap instagram likes The great matter relating to this will be the fact they are instantly shipped in the direction of your account this suggests you don't have to attend that a terrific deal. And when you are a smaller company, escalating your Instagram likes will most likely be advantageous.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...