TOM DIXON BEAT LIGHT AND A DIY TUTORIAL

For a long time I've had a design crush on the Beat pendant by British designer Tom Dixon.   I just love the slightly mid-century shapes, the ultra thin black shells that call to mind finely thrown pottery, and the hand-hewn effect of the hammered gold inside surface.

via
via

via



Beautiful right?  And they're now available in white as well, if black isn't fitting your needs...
TOM DIXON BEAT PENDANT
So when I grew terribly bored with the giant linen drum pendant that hung above my dining room table,  I was ready for something way cooler.  It wasn't that it was bad...it was just very bland. 
For a while there drum shades were all the rage.  And then they weren't.
 
I spied the Finn chandelier at West Elm on clearance for around $100 (I guess they were phasing it out because it's no longer on their site) and it immediately called to mind the Tom Dixon Beat lights.
 

They're similar in shape to the Dixon pendants, with a great glossy black finish, but white enamel on the inside, and I felt a DIY coming on :)

I opted to use gold leaf instead of spray paint, for the richness and depth it provided...closer to the hand hammered gold finish of the Dixon pendants.  Gold leaf couldn't be easier to apply, in that you literally can't mess it up.  You brush on the adhesive that comes with your leaf (available from any art/craft store), let dry until it's tacky, and then just stick the leaf to it.  It doesn't matter if the super thin leaf tears or doesn't cover your surface perfectly, you can just layer on more until you have the coverage you want.  After I'm finished applying it I like to take a soft rag and buff the whole surface.

 
I really love my end result. 
ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN
ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN
ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN
If you want to create your own version of this, there are several lights out there that would work really well.  What about using the $50 Ikea Brasa, to create a look much like this dining room by designer Kishani Perera?


Kishani Perera dining room, green blue, abstract art, contemporary
KISHANI PERERA
Ikea also makes the $20 Angenam platter and bowl, complete with hammered gold interior finish.  They've been made into pendant lights by creative types, with beautiful results...see a full tutorial here.
 
HGTV Canada
HGTV Canada
There are so many other inexpensive industrial vibe pendants out there just begging for a Tom Dixon-like makeover.  Have at it!
Photobucket

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, Rosa! I love your gold leafed fixture--your whole dining room is gorgeous:)

May said...

So inspiring!

andrea chiu said...

One thing I learned in life is to love what makes you happy and to cherish every moment you spend with your family, friends or love ones because everything that we have now on earth is temporary. Well, thank you for inspiring us with your great art work.
Visit my site for a very wonderful offer.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com

Leslie Lim said...

At last! I found this truly amazing article. I am very happy that I found this very good article of yours. Very good info and very creative post. Thanks.

wenny
www.imarksweb.org

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...