DECORATING WITH OBELISKS

Have you ever noticed the frequent use of obelisks in classical design?  It's sort of a quintessential classical symbol (like the greek key pattern I wrote about) because it stems from ancient Egyptian architecture and was heavily sampled throughout the Greek and Roman empires.  Obelisks represent the rays of the sun...I love that!  They also serve the ultra-useful purpose of adding some height variation to a table scape or vignette, not to mention the instant infusion of style....


MILES REDD / VERANDA


PINTEREST




MARY MACDONALD
MARY MACDONALD




DAVID HICKS



MILES REDD




TOMMY SMYTHE



EMMA PILKINGTON / ELLE DECOR




ALEXA HAMPTON



CELERIE KEMBLE



TOMMY SMYTHE




I came across this pair of obelisks a couple days ago at an antiques store and I can't get a DIY idea out of my head...



 



I want to paint them in a faux malachite finish a la Jenny Komenda of Little Green Notebook.  Look at the magic she worked on her plain ol' Ikea desk! 


 photo t1DSC_0320.jpg
Can't you just see those obelisks in a vibrant green malachite finish like this?  Incidentally, it's one of my favorite stones...I think I mentioned in my DIY gemstone finial tutorial that I grew up with a jeweler/gem expert father who taught me all about the semi-precious stones he loved so much.
Mary Macdonald frequently uses malachite obelisks in her spaces and they are completely eye catching.


MARY MACDONALD



MARY MACDONALD
And remember these green velvet chairs I have underway for a client's dining room?  
I'm seeing my malachite obelisks in the room with them...providing the perfect repetition of deep green in that space.  Here's a good design tip....in order to make a color scheme feel intentional and pulled together, make sure to repeat your main colors in a few different places in the room.  Too much of the same color can feel "one note," but too little can feel unintentional, so it's about creating a visual rhythm with repetition and balance.
If you're in the mood for some obelisks of your own, I've linked a few for you below.  The real deal stone and fancy vintage ones can run into the hundreds or thousands on 1st Dibs, but these options range from $30- $100:
1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

I'll be sure to share with you you once my obelisks have undergone their malachite transformation.
SIGNATURE

No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...