DIY NAUTICAL BRASS CEILING LIGHT

When I decorated my baby boy's nursery I went with a tiny gentleman/world traveler vibe, and it definitely has some nautical elements to it.  One of these is the "brass" ship light I hung in the center of the room.  It's actually this $30 Ikea light.  My favorite part of this 2-tone fixture was the exposed brass butterfly nuts.




Which got me thinking how much I would like this fixture if it were in a brass finish all over (as I do with most things, let's be honest), especially with the other brass elements I was using in his room like this adorable vintage truck I found while out antiquing...


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


So a bit of spray paint (I like either Rustoleum "Brass" or Montana brand gold spray paint) and an edison bulb later and this is what we had...






ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


This light gives you the option of either hanging it semi-flush to the ceiling like I did (a good option for standard 8' ceilings.)


OR pendant-style with the long cord intact like this...

LOST & FAWNED


OR hanging it with a swagged cord like this look.  I especially like the jute twine wrapped around the black cord here.  This swag style would work well with slightly higher ceilings than I was working with...


THE LETTERED COTTAGE BLOG

Notice that they also frosted the glass bulb cover?  Check out the whole tutorial here.


And that's what you can do with a $30 light!  Not bad at all, I think.
P.S.  In case you're curious, here is the tutorial for the giant elephant wall mural art, and here is the tutorial for the vintage arm chair turned nursery rocker.

SIGNATURE

1 comment:

John Clifford said...

All are so nice. I think that last one should cast a glow really beautiful, and such a beautiful world. Your kid room looking pretty with brass ceiling light. Brass light is perfect and antique components, which place a special look and style.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...