THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT

We've just returned from two whole weeks on vacation in my home state of New Mexico.  I don't think I'm being biased when I say that it is truly, as the slogan suggests, the "Land of Enchantment."

We spent about a week staying with dear friends on their rural farm in the northern mountains (where they farm gojji berries and run an eco-lodge with cottages where D. H. Lawrence and Aldous Huxley once wrote), luxuriating in the quiet, the pristine beauty, and the total lack of cell phone or internet service.  Isn't it funny that it now feels like such a luxury  to go without that for a bit?  For me it was!

We spent lots of quality time with friends and family.  This is the first time in years that I've allowed myself such a leisurely extended period of time in NM, and it was so worthwhile.  Now that I have a child (and am raising him in the metropolis of LA) I yearn to expose him to the slower, simpler life that I knew growing up.  Days spent with nothing on the agenda other than to graze from the garden, play with the goats and chickens, and nap in the hammock.  And that is just what we did!


 The beauty of Taos...



Evening light...
   


Afternoons spent in the hammock among the aspens...



Our enchanted cottage in the trees...






Checking out the baby lambs...







Hikes in the mountains...













 Days by the river...







Time with family...







And friends...









Saying goodnight to the goats...




Lots of garden eating and green chile-stuffed squash blossoms...








It was all as blissful as it looks.  Hope you're enjoying some restful times this summer as well!  

Happy weekend...

SIGNATURE

No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...