COLONIAL HOUSE TOUR FINALE: THE LIVING ROOM!

LIVING ROOM
I'm excited to share this space with you because I am just so pleased with the way it turned out.  It's a room that feels really good to be in, a room you want to kick back and LIVE in, as a living room should be, no?  (What's that clever Ann Sacks slogan, "Shouldn't all rooms be living?")  Why yes.  Yes they should.  And this one is definitely just that.






I love the variety of seating in here, from the comfy velvet sofa, to the leather daybed, to the chairs by the window...there's a cozy spot to sit or curl up for about any mood that strikes you. 
I gave you the low-down and posted our inspiration photo and the initial mood board  for this space months ago, and while some details changed along the way as they always do,  overall I think the entire space looks, feels, and functions very much like what we set out to do.

INSPIRATION PHOTO...
NATE BERKUS

INITIAL MOOD BOARD...
ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN

FINISHED SPACE...

You'll notice we took photos with two entirely different pairs of chairs by the windows.  We started out the with navy blue wing chairs, but the clients decided they wanted something more mid-century modern to bridge the traditional vs. mid-century husband/wife design divide we had going on.  I like both looks!  What about you...do you have a favorite?










DIY DESIGN TIP:The art over the fireplace is a photo of beautiful vaulted caves in Afghanistan and I think it looks stunning in here.  I love the sculptural, architectural quality...and guess what?  I used my favorite trick for affordable but large-scale wall art.  I blew up this stock photo at my local print shop for around $100, and found a very large, good condition metal frame at a thrift store.  They generally have some god awful ugly hotel art in them, but cost under $20 and will save you hundreds in custom framing expenses.  (I just did this with some art in my home and can't wait to show you...I will definitely devote an entire post to this tip, along with a curated stock photo selection, very soon.)








"The details are not the details. 
They make the design." -Charles Eames


Remember this gorgeous media cabinet I told you about back when we had it custom made?  I kind of have a little thing about avoiding the flat screen tv in the professional photos, so you're only seeing snippets of the cabinet, but it is lovely, trust me.  It's based on this Layla Grace design that had a very long lead time and we couldn't wait for it...we also needed a shallower depth for our room, so custom was the way to go and my carpenters produced a truly beautiful piece.






This incredible geometric brass ceiling light is the Pythagoras by Mary McDonald for Robert Abbey and I absolutely love the fantastic presence it imbues this space with!  Wouldn't you agree?  Lighting is definitely one of my favorite ways to make a statement and it's an opportunity that should never ever be wasted.  DESIGN TIP:There are too many goooood creative options out there, be they vintage or DIY or new, to ever have ho-hum lighting.  OK?  And you don't necessarily have to shell out the big bucks...follow me on Pinterest where I'm always pinning interesting lighting options, if you need inspiration and sources.








 SOURCES:
Ceiling light: Mary McDonald for Robert Abbey
Sconces: Mary McDonald for Robert Abbey
Wall color: Benjamin Moore 1542 "Himalayan Trek"
Sofa, blue wing chairs, leather daybed: all custom by Rosa Beltran Design
Media console:  custom RBD finished in Benjamin Moore OC-28 "Collingwood"
Midcentury armchairs: vintage
Long daybed pillows: custom with this fabric
Square daybed pillows: Furbish (closest match)
Fringed throw: Serena & Lily
Marble coffee table: Crate & Barrel
Rug: RugsUsa
Trays, boxes, accessories on coffee table: Home Goods and vintage
Tripod lamp: Jonathan Adler
Fireplace screen: Horchow
Tall sculptural spires on mantle: Z Gallerie
Wooden sphere on mantle: Home Goods
Wooden horse on mantle: Z Gallerie
Round sculpture on mantle: vintage
Framed photography on mantle: DIY enlarged stock photo (tutorial to come)
Pillows on navy blue chairs: Home Fabrics 
Brass floor lamp: vintage
Bar cart: Crate & Barrel
Brass ice bucket and bar accessories: vintage
Roman shades: custom
Cowhide rug: United Leather
Leather and wool tote by fireplace: Nate Berkus for Target (discontinued)
Metal accordion accent table: Urban Outfitters


 And that's a wrap!  I hope you've enjoyed the entire tour of this pretty English colonial.  I'll be back this week with a giveaway...some custom linen throw pillows in beautiful fall colors to get us all in the mood for the changing season.

SIGNATURE

4 comments:

NoMad said...

I absolutely LOVE how this space turned out- the colors, that cognac-leather daybed. It's stunning! I've been waiting for that rug to come back in stock so I can order it for our condo. Thanks for sharing all your resources!
www.nomadluxuries.com

Rosa said...

Thank you NoMad, I'm glad you like it! It's definitely one of my favorite spaces I've done yet. Getting to customize every piece of furniture and every detail in a project like this is such a treat.

And FYI, so you don't have to wait for the out-of-stock rug, you can find the exact same one from other sources...I know Overstock has had it...google "Safavieh Stone."

Divena Lachana said...

It is so adorable!!! I absolutely love your post.furniture company UK

Asif Fazil said...

Wowoooo.......lovely work,Double TV Bed in Brown

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...