COLONIAL HOUSE TOUR PART 5: MASTER BEDROOM

MASTER BEDROOM

The piece de resistance of the master  bedroom is this king size linen tufted bed made bespoke here at RBD and modeled after one my clients had admired in the pages of House Beautiful magazine.

ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


(inspiration bed)
HOUSE BEAUTIFUL


We have some strong saturated colors (emerald, royal blue, coral, teal) going on in other parts of the house, so the bedroom is meant to be a retreat of layered neutrals.  With the bed as our jumping off point we selected a soft silvery grey for the walls (Benjamin Moore "Shoreline") and a deeper putty grey (Benjamin Moore "Eagle Rock") for re-finishing the fabulous vintage campaign dresser I'd scored for them.  (I knew and loved "Eagle Rock" because it's the same color I used on my kitchen cabinets.)



ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN

But just to give you some "behind the scenes" scoop, upon seeing the light beige bed the wife had a complete crisis in confidence about the fabric she and I had selected and wanted to change it right away to a grey instead.  At the end of the day of course the most important thing to me is that clients are totally happy with the items they'll be living with, but the reality is that they often can't envision the big picture while the design is still unfinished and unfolding.  That's why you hire us right?  To keep tabs on the big picture throughout the entire process, making sure that the end result will be well-thought-out, beautiful, and cohesive.  

It's understandable to question things along the way though, and so I assured my client that if she truly wanted to change out the bed fabric we definitely would, but why not give it a teeny bit of time while the rest of the room came together and see how she felt at that point?  (I also shared with her that I myself liked the contrast of the oatmeal beige linen against the silver walls, and that a grey fabric would run the risk of being too monochromatic and getting lost in with the other grays.  Design is in large part about juxtaposition and contrast!)

We even looked at grey fabric swatches to consider the options.  See what I mean about the greys getting lost on the grey wall?  Not enough contrast.  The only decent option here is that darker grey on the far left, but going with such a deep moody tone would totally change the character of the bed...plus we already had the lacquered campaign dresser in a deep saturated grey...every design decision has such a domino effect!





So anyhow, within a short time my client had decided that she loved the bed as it was and did not want to change a thing.  It wasn't a financial decision because I'd offered to cover the cost of the re-upholstery...it's just that she became comfortable with the design as the whole process unfolded and she saw it in context with the rest of the room.  

VINTAGE SCORES!

We found and refurbished a few really great vintage pieces for this bedroom, which I absolutely love to do.  I adore scrounging around in junk shops and thrift stores and dusty antique shops to find truly unique, quality pieces that can be given a second life and that bring unequaled personality to a project.  You might say that's my forte!

This striped mahogany campaign dresser was one such find, but it needed to be toned down a bit for our restful, neutral bedroom.

BEFORE...

AFTER...
ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


The nightstands were once hotel nightstands, and the bonus is their hidden outlet...no more jumble of electrical cords visible beside your bed!  Everything plugs discreetly into the underside of the table itself and only one cord has to go to the wall.  We ditched the glass tops (too hotel-ish) and had them lacquered soft white.

BEFORE...


AFTER...


And the final vintage find for this room was this mahogany chest that fit perfectly within the nook between the "his" and "hers" walk-in closets.  Here's a design tip: sometimes you only need to refinish the top surface of a vintage piece, as was the case here.  The body of this dresser was in fine shape, but the top had some age spots and sun damage (don't we all?) so we saved money by only re-finishing the top.

BEFORE...





AFTER...

(I love the very shallow jewelry drawers at the top.  Such a little thing, but such a luxury!)

And another favorite design tip: do you see the measurements superimposed onto the "before" photo up above?  That's one of my favorite ($3) apps, MyMeasures, that lets me enter dimensions right onto the photos I take with my iphone.  I love this and I bet some of you DIY/home improvement types out there will too.  Just a pearl of wisdom I had to share...I'm not affiliated with them in any way :)

I love the warm mustard gold accents on the bed and the way they contrast with all the cool grey tones and the silvery reflective surfaces of the mirrors and lamps.  The brass hardware of the campaign dresser and the gold framed art also ties in with this palette.

The mirrors layered behind the lamps were a little visual trick I did for the photo shoot because my clients had yet to decide on hanging anything above the bed.  I knew that for photos we would need more height happening, so I bought these two $10 Ikea mirrors and just added a bit of visual detail to them with plain masking tape.  That's more of a photo styling trick than it is a permanent design feature, but I do love the look of layered mirrors behind bedside lamps!  I've been amassing Pinterest photos of them to inspire me in my Parisian Chic project as well.  

The European-style embroidered linen hotel bedding was a particularly sweet find.  I ordered it online from Overstock and was kind of blown away by the quality....it's easily comparable to Restoration Hardware's Belgian linen bedding collections, and for a fraction of the price.  All deets and sources listed below!


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


ROSA BELTRAN DESIGN


 SOURCES:
Bed: custom Rosa Beltran Design
Linen duvet and shams: Overstock
Gold pillows, throw, and grey quilt: West Elm
Ikat pillow: custom Rosa Beltran Design
Gold sculptural sphere: West Elm
Rug: Crate & Barrel
Mercury glass lamps: Home Goods
White lacquer box: Nate Berkus for Target
Nightstands: vintage
Nightstand mirrors: Ikea
Ceiling light: Worlds Away
Art on dressers: done by me (Rosa Beltran Design)
Ivory jewelry box on campaign dresser: Z Gallerie
Geometric box on campaign dresser: Z Gallerie (the exact one has been discontinued online)
Pewter-footed bowl/vase: vintage
Decorative pillar candles: DIY
Walls: Benjamin Moore "Shoreline" #1471
Campaign dresser: vintage and finished in Benjamin Moore "Eagle Rock" #1469
Small mahogany dresser: vintage

See you next time for the feminine floral office that is now bursting with bright colors and even more floral prints than the floor to ceiling flowered wallpaper, if you can wrap your head around that!


SIGNATURE

3 comments:

Amna K said...

I would love pillows #6 please!

Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, Rosa!,

Jen said...

Wow that dresser looks AMAZING!! I just scored the EXACT same one for $9.99 at Goodwill (the had "big long dresser" on the sale tag lol!) i was wondering what sheen and if you used BM advanced line for the paint?? Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!!!

Rosa said...

Hi Jen -

Thank you, I'm so glad you love the dresser! And $10 for yours (solid striped mahogany) is a massive SCORE.

I actually had the dresser professionally lacquered, which is really the best way to get that glassy smooth finish.

If you decide to hand-paint it instead, I would definitely only use oil-based paint, for a similar effect.

Thanks for reading!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...