DESIGN "MULTIPLE PERSONALITY" DISORDER?

I really related to something I read lately: Michael Boodro, the editor-in-chief of Elle Decor, wrote in the December issue about his "design schizophrenia."  He sees a marked design dichotomy between his sleek, edited, and understated city apartment and his ultra decorated country house filled to overflowing with overstuffed furniture and flea market finds.   He questions that if he truly loves and feels comfortable in both environments...which is the "real" him?     

I also find that in a business where I'm constantly exposed to and immersing myself in so many different design styles and directions, I'm often drawn to things that are entirely different from the aesthetic I've created in my own home. In fact, while I love the blend I've got going, I sometimes want to change it all 180 degrees and get so excited by the prospect of starting fresh!  Occupational hazard I guess.

But I just learned something about myself writing this blog post.  I spent an hour online amassing images that "spoke to me," and while I initially thought I'd be compiling lots of wildly different looks and styles,  in the end they all really do share a similar point of view, don't they?  Maybe I'm not as disjointed as I thought I was!
  
ELLE DECOR
ELLE DECOR
ELLE DECOR

via
via
ELLE DECOR
via 
ELLE DECOR
VERANDA
ELLE DECOR
via
ELLE ESPANA
via
via
DWELL MAGAZINE
via
There are definitely a variety of looks here, but all with the common threads of a sort of relaxed and informal global bohemia, natural textures coupled with an eclectic artsy vibe, with a few odd or iconic pieces (often lighting) from the 50s, 60s, and 70s thrown into the mix.  

I love the Walt Whitman quote that Boodro relies upon to explain his design schizophrenia, and I'm going to have to claim the same: "I contain multitudes." 

SIGNATURE

No comments:

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...