DIY BONE INLAY PAINTED FURNITURE

So remember this post about bringing more of a relaxed global bohemian vibe into my home and backyard?  It's been coming together people and it's looking good!  Full room reveal soon I promise, but for now I wanted to show you my latest little project...a DIY faux bone inlay side table.  

I recall being quite taken by the exquisitely intricate bone inlay boxes and furniture I saw on my travels to Morocco and Egypt in my very early 20s, and I guess I've had a thing for it ever since!  

via
via
via
via
via

via
via

via
via
via
So here's what I did with my little obsession...


Inspired by this furniture makeover from Jenny Komenda over on Little Green Notebook and all the images I studied online, I picked up a little $50 HomeGoods side table, gave it a dark brown spray painted base coat, grabbed a tiny paintbrush, and started making up my design as I went along...





I intentionally left some of my brush strokes kind of streaky and milky, to emulate the variation in tone of real bone or mother of pearl.  No need to worry about perfection...it's the "hand wrought" look that makes it feel artisanal like the originals.

Once I wiped on  glossy poly top coat (best product ever...SO easy to use and clean up and you get a more even finish than with spray-on poly topcoats) everything looked very polished and pretty.


 

And I'm liking the juxtaposition of this little ethnic global boho table with my mid-century Westnofa leather chair!


This project was not difficult, but it did take some time to paint all the surfaces.  I think a little box, tray, or mirror frame would be a pretty quick and easy project to knock out, and makes such a pretty touch.

via

Have at it!

SIGNATURE

2 comments:

Emmie {Blue 11 Interiors} said...

Wow, I am super impressed! It looks awesome!

Rosa said...

Thanks Emmie, glad you like it! And thanks for reading :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...