DIY PAINTED KITCHEN CABINETS

This is a post I've been meaning to share with you for a long time!  When I tackled the project of painting my kitchen cabinets I combed through many blogs for inspiration and info on the best way to go about it.  So here's the low-down on the approach I ended up using...I hope it's helpful to you!

(And FYI, I've posted multiple other tutorials for this kitchen project, including painting the tile backsplash, converting a recessed can light to a dropped pendant light, and sourcing and de-lacquering solid brass cabinet hardware.)

My kitchen remodel happened right after the house purchase, when the entire property was getting an overhaul (new windows, doors, refinished wood floors, gutted kitchen and bath, etc.)  As such, the budget was tight and I had to make do with selecting wood cabinets that were passable for the time being and that I knew could be painted at some point down the road.  I went with this deep espresso wood tone and a simple, Shaker-style door.


Shaker-style cabinetry has clean straight lines, all 90 degree angles, and a recessed flat center panel, versus more stylized doors embellished with rounded decorative molding (known in builder terminology as "ogee" molding...pronounced "oh-jee.")


Another "before" photo ... 


I explained and listed sources here about my process of choosing the warm grey cabinets and utilitarian-feeling brass hardware.




BM Eagle Rock is the same gray that I used on this campaign dresser from the English Colonial master bedroom reveal ... see how the warm greige color looks really great paired with brass tones?


The countertops in the kitchen are Caesarstone quartz in "oyster," a white base with flecks of glass in various tones of grey.  I love the look, durability, and low-maintenance aspect of Caesarstone.  It NEVER is marred by wine, oils, or acids, and they offer a sort of unbelievable lifetime warranty.  I once had a heavy appliance fall out of an upper cabinet and chip off a huge chunk from my counter's edge.  Within a week Caesartstone had sent out a repairman at no charge, no questions asked.


The Eagle Rock Grey paint tied in nicely with the Caesarstone counters, but that green glass backsplash just didn't provide enough color contrast with the other materials.  I wound up having success with painting it, and I broke down that process for you here.


Here's where I have admit to you that I may have cheated a little bit on this DIY ... I took full advantage of the fact that I have a relationship with a great refinishing shop where I send all my furniture projects to be lacquered or stained.  I had them uninstall and lacquer all the cabinet doors and drawers, and while that was underway I hand painted all of the cabinet boxes myself ... basically everything that was affixed to the walls.

BUT if you're doing this at home you can absolutely follow these steps for painting everything yourself!  This is the process I used to paint all my cabinet boxes, and I would done the same thing for the cabinet doors and drawers as well.

*steps and materials for painting kitchen*

1) clean cabinets with a TSP and water solution.

2)using a foam mini roller apply Zinsser's BIN shellac-base primer.

3)using a foam mini roller apply numerous thin coats of Benjamine Moore's Advance line high-gloss paint in your color of choice.

4)in between paint coats sand lightly with fine grit sandpaper to level out any roughness or imperfections.

Both the special Zinsser shellac-base primer and Benjamin Moore's Advance paint are integral to this process.  They're formulated to act like oil-based paints even though they're water-based and super easy to use and clean up.  They give a smoother, glassier finish and don't show brush strokes like regular latex paint does.

I chose to only paint the exteriors and the face of the cabinets and shelves, not the interiors which would have taken eons longer ...




(SIDE NOTE: I myself have never used a paint sprayer but it sure would make a full cabinet painting job easier. If I went that route I think I might get this little spray gun that Jenny over on Little Green Notebook has been raving about.  Of course you'll need an air compressor as well.)

At project's end, once the brass hardware was installed and tile backsplash was painted white, this is what I wound up with!





I'll be honest, I put this cabinet painting project off for a long long time because I was daunted by it, but in the end the results are SO worthwhile to me ... I only wish I had done it sooner!

SIGNATURE

5 comments:

Viviane Tai said...

Love your painted cabinets! Great job on colors and hardware selection.
Question: We are repainting our kitchen cabinets and the hinges are on the outside of the cabinets. Previous owners painted the cabs and hinges all the same color - deep green/blue. We are planning to replace all new hardware. I'm not sure if we should paint hinges to match the paint. I can't seem to find any good pictures of cabinets with hinges on the outside. Our kitchen dates to 1974. Thoughts?

Bobs Furniture said...

I have seen several articles in painted kitchen cabinet, but this article seems to be confident with unique and interesting lines. Personally, I think it is greatly a necessary article, which is amazing with its technique to understand.

Bobs Furniture | Bob's Discount Furniture

Cleo Rogers said...

What a perfect paint storage solution. You did an awesome job Rosa!
Best California Pet Transport Specilized Care

Emily Ross said...

It’s been over 10 months since I’ve remodeled my kitchen and the compliments received from my family and friends just keep coming. I hired the team at Classic Kitchen and Bath in Illinois because they are a family business and have been around for as long as I can remember. Remodeling can be quite a hassle but these guys made the process much simpler for me. It was a great experience working with the team at CKB- a company that prides itself on quality workmanship, timeliness, and customer service. Visit their website today www.myclassickitchenandbath.com or call 630-515-9151. I highly recommend them to anyone considering a new kitchen or bathroom.

JK said...

First of all, thank you for being so generous with your knowledge. I really love your approach to design -- and your DIYs for your furniture finds are to die for. Second, was wondering if you could share who your furniture re-finisher is? If not, no worries. Thank you for posting on your blog! I'm having so much fun reading through it (new to your blog, but have seen your work posted on pinterest and so forth).

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...