PROJECT SNEAK PEEK: DELUXE CANOPY BED

As promised ... here are the photos and a bit of "how to" from the custom canopy bed installation we did for a client last week!  

I've told you before about this very "Versailles" bedroom project, and the other day I showed you a glimpse of the leopard carpet that recently went in.

Our inspiration was this fantastic canopy bed we found in an online image search ... from a design showhouse in Atlanta ...

via
via
via
Here's a BEFORE shot of the bedroom (complete with decor from the previous owner) ...


This 4-poster bed that my client had needed some re-working because the cross bars were too low and not sturdy enough to support the rosette fabric ceiling and all the drapes we were adding to it.  


So to truly re-create the look and feel of the bed in the inspiration photos, we decided to hang our canopy structure directly from the ceiling.  The extra height would keep it from feeling too low and claustrophobic, and attaching everything directly to the ceiling would ensure a solid, sturdy install. 

For the canopy frame I flipped a piece of baseboard upside down and added crown moulding trim ...


Then I devised a system of staggered curtain rods for the canopy ceiling, valance and all our drapery panels to hang from.  I honestly just wandered the aisles of the hardware store until I had cobbled together some unusual materials that would get me there!  

Do you ever do that?  It's kind of one of my favorite things to do ... roam my art supply and hardware store while problem solving design dilemmas.


I settled on some closet rod, copper plumbing pipe, and pipe straps for mounting them, and had my carpenters build the whole structure and paint everything white.

Here it is going up ...


I gave myself a serious case of "staple gun thumb" upholstering these 1/4" plywood boards to create that amazing rosette fabric ceiling.


If you're considering doing something like this yourself, make sure to use the thinnest chiffon because anything else would be too bulky.  I first covered the plywood with ivory satin, and then stapled the pleated chiffon to the board section-by-section.

I used a little jigsaw to hand-cut a half circle shape from the center of each panel. At the end I stapled the two wood half-circle wood scraps together to make a ruffled centerpiece cap using chiffon scraps and hot glue.




 We selected this pretty ivory tonal fabric for all our curtains
(bought at my favorite fabric store Home Fabrics in downtown LA) ...




And here's the finished canopy bed all put together!




We have some gorgeous monogrammed bed linens on the way ... 
can't wait to show you once the entire room is completed and styled!



SIGNATURE

7 comments:

JP said...

Wow. That is beautiful! Such Gorgeous fabric. Thank you so much for showing the work that goes into making a beautiful bed.
Lauren

Robyn S said...

Seriously gorgeous. Really impressive work on this canopy!

Rosa said...

Thank you Robyn! And thanks for writing!

theentrenousblog.com said...

Rosa, what a gorgeous end product! What I wouldn't do for a bed like that!

XO Vanessa
www.theentrenousblog.com

Rosa said...

Lauren - thanks for commenting and thanks for following along!

Rosa said...

Hi Vanessa,

Glad you like it! It does look pretty spectacular in person. Can't wait to show you the entire room with new bedding, drapes, and all :)

inge data said...

Wonderful! I found similar products on this website: http://www.archiexpo.com/architecture-design-manufacturer/canopy-bed-607.html

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...