A BUG THEME GARDEN BIRTHDAY PARTY

My little Benicio turned TWO this month and we threw a Sunday afternoon birthday party in the back yard.  This child is "outdoorsy" through and through (aren't all kids are by nature?) and he loves nothing better than long walks around the neighborhood inspecting every bug, smelling each and every flower, and collecting pebbles, twigs and leaves in his pockets. 

Yesterday he did something that just melted my heart:  we were watching one of those teeny tiny miniature ants crawling on the patio and when he reached out for it he kind of brushed it and inadvertently squashed it.  As he watched the unmoving ant and realized it had an "ouchie" he bent down to the ground to give it kisses, trying to bring it back to life.  What can I say, he loves the bugs!


Living so near the downtown wholesale flower market makes it easy to get creative with my party arrangements, which is really one of my favorite parts of throwing a party.  For this one I used ranunculas, button feverfew, dusty miller, and a couple of pincushion protea, plus faux butterflies.  


This wonderful carrot and cream cheese birthday cake came courtesy of Benicio's Nana (my mom) and we adorned it with decorative bugs ...









Party favors were butterfly nets with play bugs inside ...



My awesome helper with the party favors was Lulu!


The kids had a blast tossing and catching the bugs in their nets ...






My back office always becomes a hang-out zone during parties ... 



Lots of our favorite people came to celebrate!





And the unusually rainy weather we'd been having for days magically lifted, clouds parted, and the sun peeked through ...



The kiddos made birthday bug crowns ...




And with another year of practice under his belt, Benicio was ALL OVER that birthday cake!




(I love how he focused so intently on his birthday candles that he went a little cross-eyed :)


That's Bencio's "Papa Bear" (my stepdad) who came with Nana all the way from New Mexico for the festivities.


Benicio's Nana ...


And one of my oldest friends Caly who helped out in a big, big way.  Thanks Caly!


Basically it was a perfect day filled with multitudes of love and blessings.  Just the right way to mark my sweet baby boy's 2nd trip around the sun.  Happy birthday Benicio! Being your mama is by far the sweetest gift I've ever known!

SIGNATURE

2 comments:

Erin @ Suburban Bitches said...

Love those Babybel ladybugs- such a cute idea! And you're backyard- can I come lay on your sun chairs for a few days and work on my tan? :)

Rosa said...

Thanks Erin ... pinterest served me well coming up with "buggy" snacks :) And yes! Come on out!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...