DOUBLE PISCES BIRTHDAY WEEK

Hello everyone!  This week marks my son Benicio's 2nd birthday AND my birthday as well, so I'll be taking a couple of days away from this space in order to properly celebrate with this handsome little fellow!  
happy birthday benicio!
BENICIO, NEARLY 2
First I want to share a beautiful series of photos from one of our favorite things, our Waldorf-based play dough art group.  We meet weekly with a handful of other mamas and toddlers in a beautiful garden setting to make all different types of play dough from scratch.  We've made "snow" play dough with silver sparkles in it, herbal play dough scented with sage and lavender, pink and red play dough for Valentines day, and more.

In true Waldorf style there are songs to accompany each task, and the little ones get to do all the measuring, pouring, sifting and stirring themselves.  They're encouraged to sift their hands through the silky flour, really knead the gloppy dough, and get as messy as they like to. (Neuroscience shows that sensory play is critical in childrens' learning processes and brain development.)










Needless to say, sweet little Beni LOVES the time we spend with our play/art group and talks about it all week long.  So we've begun making our own play dough at home.  There was a great batch of orange dough made one lazy afternoon with his much-adored and very favorite accomplice, Lulu ... 
BENICIO & LULU, ROLLING IN DOUGH :)
: homemade play dough recipe :

4 c flour
1 c salt
4 tbsp oil
1 1/2 c water

(if adding food coloring, mix it in 
with the oil before adding to the flour)

SIGNATURE

4 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ahhh. We used to do this with my little tribe of four. While it was cooling we would play "hot potato". Fun fun memories. Love the scents and glitter idea!

Rosa said...

It IS the sweetest thing Linda! And I find it's a moment during our week when I truly slow down savor every moment with my little one. Thanks for writing :)

Tabassum Siddiqui said...

I love browsing through your blog but I rarely have a chance to comment, but when I saw this post I just had to comment. Your son is so adorable! Happy Birthday to you both :)

Rosa said...

Thank you so much Tabassum! He is a gem and we both had a lovely birthday week! Thanks for reading :)

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...