RATTAN CHAIRS AND FURNITURE: HOW & WHEN?

Rattan and bamboo were a big part of the anglo-asian style termed "chinoiserie" that was huge in the 17th and 18th centuries, again during the 50s and 60s mid-cuntury era of "hollywood regency" style, and most recently in the 70s when everything was macrame and peacock chairs.

Rattan has been making another big comeback in interior design lately, but I have to admit that I wasn't completely on the bandwagon for the longest time.  

I know I wasn't alone in my ignorance either: while out thrifting with a girlfriend this weekend I was oohing and aahing over a particularly fine specimen of rattan chair as my friend looked on with a mildly horrified and puzzled expression that said "WHAT do you see in that nutty "old lady" chair!?"

I, my friends, have finally come 'round to the realization that rattan really does have a lot of design impact when used right ... it's about the contrast of juxtaposing something SO textural and natural with a space that's more refined, sparse, or modern.  You might think it would look out of place so, well, out of place.  But in actuality the contrast just WORKS.  Pretty much every time.  

Check it out ... 
(and be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom for a great rattan shopping tip at the end :)

via
via
via
via
via
via
via
via
via
via
via
The thing that started me thinking about this whole topic was a fun red chinoiserie desk from my last post that was paired with a lovely rattan chair.

So here's a bargain shopping tip for you: The Ikea Almsta rattan chair is very similar and really just as pretty!  

It would look great at that brightly-colored desk ...

via
 Or at a little round tulip table ...

via
Or pulled up to a kitchen banquette bench ... 

via
Ikea Almsta chair
Ikea Almsta chair
And just in closing:  I'm really not such a huge fan of painted rattan or wicker unless it's black or white and on a rather formal porch or patio.  I feel that a lot of the charm of rattan comes from it's "natural" character, so painting it hot pink or bright turquoise is mostly out for me :)

SIGNATURE

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

I love how something so plain in so many ways is so utterly versatile and gorgeous in its simplicity.

Vanessa
www.theentrenousblog.com

Rosa said...

Hi Vanessa ... So true, rattan is really SO versatile! I love the way adding it switches everything up and gives a space that unexpected twist that every room needs :)

Ben Harrison said...

I want to thank you for sharing this post. It is not easy to find such perfectly written information on the wicker furniture.

Alessio jose said...

What’s up, after reading this remarkable post i am too happy to share my experience here with mates.


outdoor furniture

Bharath Narasiman said...

Excellent article! We are linking too this particularly great post on our site. Keep up the great writing.
rattan furniture

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...