DESIGNING WITH DAYBEDS

I'm a huge fan of daybeds.  I've written before how I love using them in living rooms as an alternative to just another sofa ... there's something that works so well about combining furniture of varying heights in a space!  It allows the eye to traverse the room without getting bored because everything is too much the same or all on one plane.

(all images via


Daybeds are a brilliant solution for in front of large windows or in front of a fireplace in lieu of a sofa with back that would block such a great feature.  Tucked at the top of the stairs or in a wide hallway a small daybed creates an inviting resting spot.  And it's a no-brainer in a home office that doubles as a guest room because it doesn't have to look like a bed, but it is one!  They are absolutely chic, practical, and comfortable at once.









Here's a custom tufted leather daybed I made for a client's living room (see the full tour here), based on one of my all-time favorite Nate Berkus rooms pictured below.  




So it should come as no surprise to you that I'm working on designing some really good daybed options for my upcoming furniture line.  With these, as with the entire line, I'm aiming for shapes that are classic, but with an interesting design twist, just a little something different.  Sometimes just one little detail, like double-stitched seams or an indented frame shaped that molds around a seat cushion, is all it takes. 

You may have heard me share the motto I adopted from the brilliant interiors and furniture designer Charles Eames: "The details aren't just the details.  They make the design."  

I can't wait to reveal all that I've been working on for the new line!  And thanks for bearing with me during this busy time when my posts are coming a little less frequently.  And a million thanks for all your votes and support in the Lamps Plus Design Duel.  My room was the winning room ... by more than double the votes (a proud moment for me in light of the fact that my competitor has 12K instagram followers to my 650 :)  So thanks for that!



2 comments:

Franksfamilyandfriends said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Franksfamilyandfriends said...

Congrats on the Lamps Plus win! You are amazing!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...