MY HOME TOUR PART 2: THE KITCHEN

Thank you for the great response to part 1 of my home tour!!  I received a lot of questions via email and instagram about my kitchen, so today here's a round-up of all you need to know about my kitchen renovation.

Below is what the kitchen looked like when we bought the house.  Original 1930s cabinetry (which wasn't fancy even to begin with, let alone 80 years later) and some lovely tile work from the 70s or 80s.

  

You pretty much have 3 choices when it comes to choosing kitchen cabinetry:

1) Ikea pre-fab particle board cabinets (usually the lowest-priced)
2) Solid wood pre-fab cabinets (mid-priced)
3) Custom wood cabinets (higher-priced)
 
I've used Ikea cabinets with my clients plenty of times when the budget called for it, and they can be a great option.  But this time around our installer happened to have a great deal on some mid-priced, solid wood pre-fab cabinets.  The quality was great, the price was right, and I loved the simple shaker style detailing.  The only down side was that they only came in various brown stained finishes, none of which I liked.  They weren't even available in white!  But we were working with such a limited budget and doing so much else to the rest of the property that we decided to go for it, knowing we could always paint them later on.  


I always love these side-by-sides ... they are just SO ultra satisfying!

  

I posted a full tutorial about my DIY cabinet painting process a little while back, so hit the link for the whole scoop!  The question I get most often is what color I used: Benjamin Moore "Eagle Rock" is my go-to for a rich and warm gray ... I love it!  (I also used it on this gorgeous campaign dresser.)
 


Check out my posts about choosing affordable brass cabinet hardware, painting my tile backsplash, and DIYing the black and brass pendant light above the sink, and that pretty much covers my kitchen remodel from start to finish!







   
SOURCES
countertops: Caesarstone "Oyster"
brass cabinet knobs: vintage on ebay ... explained here
pendant light: Hampton Bay from Home Depot (no longer available...find a similar one here)
chevron indoor/outdoor rug: Ballard Designs
cordless roman shade: ebay (with DIY added trim)
 

Links for the rest of the home tour:

And catch this house featrued on Domaine Home too!
 

4 comments:

theconciergemom said...

So beautiful! What a great change!

theanatomyofdesign.com said...

gorgeous! Really love the warm wood next to that gray. lovely kitchen.

Rosa said...

Thank you for your comments! I love hearing them and I'm thrilled that you are liking my kitchen re-do!

Shavonda Gardner said...

So good Rosa!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...