MY HOME TOUR PART 9: THE STUDIO

A couple of years after I bought and remodeled the house, I converted the detached garage behind the house into my design studio.  This was truly one of the most satisfying of ALL the projects I tackled with this house!


If you recall, this is what the garage looked like when we purchased the house (you can see the entire property transformation in my remodel post.)




It took us about a year (while the focus was on renovating the house itself), but we eventually got rid of the garage door and added two sets of french doors onto the patio and garden.  This obviously did a lot to bring in tons of natural light and make it habitable, but beyond constructing two very simple built-in work surfaces and some shelving, we pretty much stopped there.  This was my makeshift work zone for another year+ while I was finishing the house, and then pregnant, until I could get to designing a nicer office space for myself.  

Here's the garage office with the addition of the french doors ...



After the baby was born and I was back on my feet but still not back to work full time I felt a huge need to invigorate this space with some color and some personality!  




 The beginnings of my glossy navy blue door with DIY moulding ...




A couple weeks and a whole lotta DIY later ... ta da!!!  The finished space.







The studio was featured on Apartment Therapy just after it was finished, when my little guy was still a babe in arms (he's a big, tall 2.5 year old boy now who just started pre-school and loves it!) 



http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/rosas-wonderful-creative-space-office-tour-183143

I shared this tutorial about my DIY giant fabric-covered bulletin boards ...




 And this tutorial about the DIY labels on my shelter magazine storage boxes ...


These metal magnetic bulletin boards are perforated metal sheets that I spray painted gold of course (tutorial here.) I love them.



And just last Spring I fixed up the little patio seating area in front of the studio as part of the fun  "Year of Change" monthly designer challenges I'm taking part in ...


The before and after shots, side by side ...



And with that, it's really and truly a wrap for this home tour.  Sources are at the bottom, as always.


Links for each space:
bath // nursery // bedroom // patio 

And the whole place featured on Domaine Home too!

SOURCES
filing cabinets: CB2
pendant light: CB2 Cage Lamp (discontinued)
knock-off tolix stools: Overstock.com
small metal storage boxes: Ikea (discontinued)
wood magazine boxes: Ikea (painted white w/ diy labels)
desk chairs: vintage re-upholstered
accent paint on back of shelving: Behr Lemongrass UL180-4







3 comments:

theanatomyofdesign.com said...

such a transformation...so very inspiring!

Rosa said...

Thanks so much for saying so! I love hearing that :)

Shavonda Gardner said...

I love this so so much. 6 months ago my family and i downsized into a 1940s cottage bungalow and it has a detached garage that i really want to convert into my studio space. This is so incredibly inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing and i cant wait to check out the rest of your home tour

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...