DESIGNING A LAVISH CHINOISERIE LIVING ROOM

It's an exciting moment in one of my client projects right now.  We just wrapped up a full renovation of her kitchen (I haven't had it photographed yet, but I promise to share once I do), which has given her the courage to completely overhaul the decor in the rest of her house before the holidays. 

It's another one of those large and graceful 1930s LA apartments.  The sunken living room is huge, with a fireplace, high ceilings, big beams with fancy plaster cornices, and tall windows just begging for "statement" curtains.  We found this exquisite embroidered peacock fabric in the downtown fabric district, and loved it enough to build the entire living room around it.


We're going chinoiserie all the way, with opulent floor-to-ceiling drapes in our fabulous peacock fabric.  I'm drawing on the coral tones in this pattern for a tufted chaise longue, and to accent the interiors of our built-in bookshelves.  Teal will be making an appearance in our room, as well as that peridot green.




Upholstery with gorgeous tailored details and trim, lavish mirrors and antiques, a collection of chinoiserie pottery, lacquered oriental furniture, and layer upon layer of color and pattern will all help to build the atmosphere we want for this space.





A leopard spot rug will round out the look.  This is the second time I've talked a client client into such a bold move!  The first time I blogged about it with lots of pictures.  I love how leopard can function as a neutral in a room with lots of pattern and color.





I've always wanted to use a punch-colored bamboo chippendale chair, and I do believe this will be my chance!










  It's not every day I get to unleash my inner Bunny Williams.  This is going to be fun!


















2 comments:

theanatomyofdesign.com said...

what a fun, colorful room...can't wait to get a peek at this place!

Rosa said...

I'm picking out the lighting right now which is one of my FAVORITE parts of a space. It's coming together beautifully!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...