ONE ROOM CHALLENGE {PARISIAN CHIC LIVING ROOM} WEEK 2

I'm spending 6 weeks transforming a graceful (and completely bare) old 1930s apartment into a feminine and chic Parisian salon as part of the One Room Challenge.  I showed you the raw space last week, and this week you get the first update!

Week 1 was all about making decisions, pulling together the overall design, and preparing the "shell" of the apartment.
My first design conundrum is the floors.  Pretty much the only drawback to this spacious and elegant apartment is that it's situated directly above the building owner's own living quarters, which means it's the only apartment in the building that has carpet installed over the beautiful wood floors.  It's the (understandable) right of the landlord to want to muffle the sounds of upstairs tenants, so the carpet's not going anywhere.  Luckily it's in good shape and an unoffensive silvery-grey tone, so we'll just have to work around it.

We've been trolling Craigslist and ebay for a large oriental rug to disguise the grey carpet and anchor the room.  Something richly colored, old-world, and traditional like this.

Have I neglected to mention thus far that this entire project has to be pulled off on a very shoestring budget?  Lucky you, really, because a skinny budget will force me to be extra creative and resourceful, and you'll get to see how it's done!

You all know that big rugs are crazy expensive, but I'm actually feeling pretty good about our prospects here!  It seems that since all the tribal, Kilim, Moroccan-style rugs are so furiously trendy right now, the market for traditional oriental rugs might be a bit easier to break into?  That's my theory anyhow ... we seem to be finding some good options so here's hoping :)

Next up: the walls.  Everything is now freshly painted, and believe it or not we decided to stick with that orginal soft rosy pink color on the dining room walls!  I'd say 9 times out of 10 when you move into a pink apartment you paint that sh*t straightaway :)  But for this space it's actually really lovely and feminine and elegant ... everything we want this space to be.  The living room is now silvery grey, and all the doors have been painted high-gloss black.  I especially love how the new doors up the glam factor ...


I was NOT, however, feeling the same love for the original black-painted fireplace and icky hearth tiles.  Those went all white and are looking much better now.


That took care of the floors and the walls.  The final part of preparing the shell is the light fixtures.  We had a lot of room for improvement ...




And this space was just begging for some opulent chandeliers dripping in crystals.  So that happened!  Between my favorite east side vintage stores and Craigslist, we absolutely cleaned up in the chandelier department.  None of these fixtures cost over $200, and they are each stunning!




You'll understand these $20 sconces better once you see them flanking the fireplace with little black lamp shades and gold foil lining ...


How cool is this crystal beehive!?  It happened to be the perfect scale for our high-ceilinged entry.



And that's the progress report so far.  Come back every Thursday for another installment!




12 comments:

Sandra said...

Looking forward to seeing this space. Will you be finding the rig online or flea?

Rosa said...

Thanks Sandra! Our prospects for a rug are looking pretty good on eBay. I'll let you know!

Christine Dovey said...

Holy moly...you have made a TON of progress!!! So exciting!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love your rug choices. I also can't believe how affordable the chandy's were. Great job.

aquahausblog.com said...

Very good progress indeed. All the rugs are fantastic.

Kristen @ Pursuing Vintage said...

I'm sure it will be beautiful! I can't wait to see more!

Carin Goldstein said...

I can't wait to see the finished look...I'm know it will look amazing...what color white paint are you using? I'm always so interested yet confused by the plethora of white choices out there!!

Erin Dove said...

Great progress so far! Can't wait to see what you accomplish next. Good luck!

Lee Anne Dunson said...

Love the chandliers & your blog! What east side store do you use?

komal singh said...

Great article with excellent idea! I appreciate your post. Thanks so much and let keep on sharing your stuffs keep it up.
Pepperfry Coupon

Lynne said...

Hi Rosa,
I am coming very, very late to this party and realize the chances of you seeing, let alone responding to my comment/question is beyond slim, but can you tell me the brand/ color of the pink paint? It is absolutely so pretty. I am going to install the Anthro mural in my bedroom and have been seriously considering pink walls. That color is gorgeous. LOVE to pieces what you did with your sister's apartment! Lynne

Julie Spear said...

Dang it - have been searching all of these ORC posts to see if I could find the color swatch for that pink dining room paint - IT IS GORGEOUS!! - but naturally, it would be pre-existing, so I imagine you have no idea of the brand/color right? yeah, I figured... I have tried 97 different pink paint samples in my bedroom, and none are right. I want it exactly like this dining room color - and it looks GORGEOUS with that Anthro mural, your previous commenter is right about that!!!!!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...