SERGE MOUILLE INSPIRATION AND A ROUND-UP OF THE BEST REPLICAS

I've long been obsessed with the lighting of Serge Mouille, and I'm far from the only one.  His iconic mid-century lighting designs appear in some of my all-time favorite decorated spaces.

(all images via here)


I included the room below in my living room shelving post on Monday, and it's truly a favorite of mine.  I love the color temperature created by all the elements in this space ... the way the warm coppery tones juxtapose the crisp black and white palette.  It's so good!  I could happily live here, and I'm certain you'll be seeing some variation on this look in my own living room after the remodel ...


I especially adore the addition of a Serge Mouille fixture to a room with tons of classical elements.  I love that contrast between super-traditional and super-modern. 

I know I'm always going on and on to you about "contrast," but it really is a core tenet of good design: the tension created by a mix of new and old, mod and trad, light and dark, smooth and rough, shiny and dull, black and white ... it's what gives a room real presence and depth.

Look again at the room above and how well it accomplishes this ...

Whereas a modern Mouille light in an an all-modern space like this room below leaves me kind of cold.  There are certainly lots of people who prefer a minimalist look like this, but for me it's missing the warmth and depth and layers that make a space really come to life.


But back to Serge.  He was a Parisian-born industrial designer and metalsmith who became well-known for his mid-century lighting designs, which he said were “a reaction to the Italian models, which were beginning to invade the market in 1950,” and which he thought to be “too complicated.” 


And I think it's true, his designs possess an elegance and a simplicity that have set them apart ever since.  They were only produced for a handful of years, so originals are quite rare and can run into the six-figure price range.  His heirs in France have re-released some of his designs, sold in the US through Gueridon, who reps them to Design Within Reach and a few other showrooms priced at $3k-$10k apiece.

Not surprisingly, quite a few companies have come up with knock-off versions of the iconic Mouille designs.  I've rounded up the options for you at the bottom of this post, just after a drool-worthy scroll through these gorgeous inspiration rooms that I'm guessing will have you as breathless to place your order as I am!




































The companies below make these knock-offs of various Serge Mouille designs, all ranging from around $200-$800.



I haven't decided who to purchase from yet, or even which model I will be buying, but I'm seriously considering the 3-arm ceiling chandelier for the new living room.  Have fun!




12 comments:

davidhunternyc said...

Just a couple of days ago, I discovered Serge Mouille. I went to Design Within Reach and discovered their "licenced reproductions" are far out-of-reach of my budget; to the tune of $7,000 for this three tiered ceiling model! Not only that, but if you were to read the brilliant online interviews by Daniel Tolson, you'll quickly realize that the licensed reproductions cut too many corners. In conjunction, this article is so educational by providing other links to reproductions for far lesser costs. Sure, there is no substitute for the original but if you do not have $35,000 for an original, the links here will provide great alternatives. I especially am attracted to hi-furniture.com. They state in their listing that their reproductions are accurate down to the washer and six-sided screw hardware and, for the price, forget DWR. Am I going to spring for one these lights? I don't know. I keep thinking that I need to find a contemporary Serge Mouille; a lighting designer in my current time. LED's are all the rage now-a-days and only getting better. Is there a contemporary anglepoise ceiling light that is just a valid, necessary, ergonomic, and brilliant as Serge Mouille's? I am open to the possibilities. Also, the other great aspect to this article is that it shows that Mouille's lights could be used brilliantly in an interior but can also be used coldly, without thought or feeling. This underscores Serge Mouille's genius. His work is a shadow. The illusion is up to you.

Anonymous said...

Be Careful . They are not very good copies. Many of the photos are of the licensed edition not what they actually sell.

Greg

davidhunternyc said...

Thank you, Greg. Really? Do you think that I have to buy the licensed reproduction in order to get an accurate approximation of the original? From what I've gathered there is no approximation to the original. Because of this, all bets are off as far as "licensed" reproductions. Licensed or riff, I just want to get the closest I can to the original at ordinary persons yearly budget.

rob said...

I came across this lamp by accident. It was being tossed out into the trash. I brought it home. My friend saw it and said.... Wrote a Serge Mouille. I did my homework. I can I determine its value. Are there any distinguishing marks so I know it's worth.

Eric said...

if you do like the serge mouille lighting,but budget is not enough,you can get a great copy here :www.zoralighting.com/serge-mouille

L Topson said...

Thanks for your interest on our serge mouille reproduction.
The update link of serge mouille three arms ceiling lamp as bellow:
http://www.topsonlighting.com/serge-mouille-three-arms-ceiling-lamp
Hope you have found your satisfying lighting fixture :)

James Moes said...

Did you end up buying one? Are you happy with the quality?

davidhunternyc said...

Hi James, No I did not get one yet. I have been disappointed with the quality of the reproductions. In fact, the new authorized versions are stamped and not hand-cut aluminum, not like the original at all. The fittings are modern too. It's frustrating because the authorized versions are very expensive and they don't look or feel like the originals. I did find someone on Etsy from Australia who makes these by hand at a reasonable price. He really pays attention to the details. I will get the three-armed ceiling lamp in white for my bedroom.

James Moes said...

David,

I'm assuming this is the seller?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/243194789/serge-mouille-two-arm-wall-light?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=serge%20mouille&ref=sr_gallery_3

(I've been looking at buying a two arm wall light...)

/

How many different unauthorized versions have you looked at / seen in person? I feel that gambling $2-300 wouldn't be too bad a risk...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181838348024
https://www.franceandson.com/mid-century-modern-msc-r2c-rotating-wall-sconce-two-arm.html
https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hans-Andersen-Home-Nicklas-Two-Arm-Wall-Sconce/10511062/product.html
http://www.topsonlighting.com/serge-mouille-two-arms-wall-lamp-straight

Jason said...

Another site that has serge mouille lighting collection is memoky.com

mid century said...

Another site that has serge mouille lighting collection is memoky.com

Anonymous said...

Someone bought the etsy version??thanks

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...