ONE ROOM CHALLENGE: {PROJECT PARISIAN CHIC} THE FINAL REVEAL!

You guys, I'm over the moon with how my 6-week One Room Challenge turned out!  I'm not gonna lie, completing it has consumed ALL of me for the past couple of weeks.  No gym, no play, not a whole lot of sleep, no vegging out with a little late night tv ... just looong work days, sore backs (thank you Melanie, raddest assistant ever), shopping, scouring, installing, styling, moving furniture around and then moving it around again.  And it's ALL worth it because I get to show YOU the end result today!

Here it is, the transformation of my sister's completely bare LA apartment, done on a shoe string thrift store budget with TONS of DIYs that I broke down for you here and here.


Because of the open floor plan, I really had to decorate three spaces in one, since they all led into each other via these beautiful archways.  

Here's the vantage point from the entry, looking through the living room and into the dining room:


And from the dining room looking into the living room and beyond to the entry:


It's a large and lovely old 1930s LA apartment that was pretty much a blank slate for me to work with (see all the before photos in my first post from week 1.)  The only drawback, which I'll admit I lamented the entire time, was that beneath all that grey carpet lay pristine, original wood floors.  But with the building's landlord living in the apartment below, those carpets (understandably) weren't going anywhere.  Sigh.

I talked my sister into going with an old-world Parisian apartment vibe in keeping with the classic era of the building.  A layered, "more is more" aesthetic piled high with books, art, and gold gilt ... the more ornate and crustier the better.


Our budget was extremely limited ... you know how it is designing for family :)  It's usually a freebie!  But rather than being constrained by this fact, it allowed me to let my creativity run wild.  I can honestly count just a handful of items in this ENTIRE space that did not come from vintage or thrift stores.  The fact that I was designing for a trusting family member meant that I had pretty much carte blanche to do as I saw fit, which is obviously a designer's dream!

And it's really the only way this space could have come together in such a tight time frame and without a much more massive budget.  Not having to run every selection past my client and having the freedom to collect thrifted and vintage treasures as I found them allowed me to buy things that only a crazy person seasoned thrifter could love or see the potential in.  (I'll be sure to write a follow-up post with all my harebrained DIY projects and the crazy "before & after" transformations of all my vintage finds!) 

Another thing: old school European is not exactly my usual design purview, so the biggest challenge I had to constantly work at with this project was balancing enough modern elements with all the old-world design to keep it fresh, not frumpy.  I had to continually check myself when I was out shopping to be sure I wasn't going all grandma.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing ... my Grandma had miles of style .. but my imaginary friend might notice that the Norman Rockwell framed collector's plates did not make it onto the walsl.  What was I thinking??  So yeah, keeping my perspective was a tiny bit tricky when out looking for things I don't normally design with, like big-ass gold Liberace mirrors.  Again, having Melanie as an extra set of eyes on things helped immeasurably.  At the end of a long installation I can feel pretty cross-eyed and the line between good design and bad design gets a little blurry :)

One of the ways I managed to balance the traditional decor with a more modern vibe was with the wall art, a lot of which was DIY'd.


The entry vestibule is really pretty, with a vintage beehive chandelier and a very tall mirror that draws attention to the high ceilings ...
The fireplace is flanked by an antique mahogany bar cabinet on the left, and a little writing desk on the right.  The giant angel wings are one of my favorite things in this room (and one of the few items purchased new, so check out the source list at the end of the post.)




The sofa, I'm proud to say, is one of my own designs and we're featuring this exact style in my new furniture line being putting together right now (it will be affordable and available online soon, with nationwide shipping!)  Sort of a simplified, streamlined version of a classic tufted chesterfield sofa.


The lamp was a long-shot DIY that worked out actually, and it instantly transformed the room!  We needed just that sort of dose of weird mid-century Italian modern.  

I love it a lot.


And that brings us to the dining area, where the big news is the grisaille wall mural we hung ourselves.  It's ahhhhmaaaaaaazing ...


The opposite side of the room got a floor-to-ceiling gallery wall with wide mats because I love that look.  We also made a fabric-covered screen for more visual interest and to hide the wall heater in the corner.



And that's pretty much what happened around here over the course of the past 6 weeks!  (Oh yeah, plus my usual load of client projects.  That too.)

Plus this, just for kicks, since we had a legit photographer onsite and all!


(Thank you thank you thank to my Marc, not only for taking ridiculously beautiful photos, but also for always having a warm meal on the table the nights I stumble in all worn out from working late.)

It's been an eventful few days and I'm about to fall asleep on my keyboard, so I'm signing off, but I promise I'll be back with more behind-the-scenes details and a run-down of all the DIY projects and refurbished vintage stuff we used here.

Big huge thanks to Linda from Calling It Home for conceiving of the One Room Challenge and bringing us all together in such a fabulous way.  This was my first time participating and I've loved seeing what came out of it, both in my own work and from all the other uber-talented participants!  Loved it so much that I hope to find myself among the 20 core designers next time around.  Just sayin'. Count me in :)

Want to see the evolution of the design?  Here it is week-by-week!


SOURCES
Everything is from thrift stores, Craigslist, and Ebay except:
Anthropologie wall mural
Z Gallerie wings sculpture
Pier 1 foo dog lamp (cleared out online but still in some stores)
Rosa Beltran Design sofa and pillows
Ikea Aina curtains
Ikea Songe tall entry mirror (spray painted gold)
Ikea Klubbo coffee table, discontinued (base spray painted gold)
Arron Brothers gallery wall frames
Target brass sea urchin (spray painted gold)






49 comments:

SHERRY HART said...

Holy smokes girl! You did a fabulous job...budget or no budget. I love everything about this place....all of the vintage pieces are crazy good. It is beautifully edited and styled. Your sister much be simply over the moon!

Michelle Woeller said...

Wow! I'd feel like I was living in Paris if this was my space! Absolutely beautiful!

Dianne said...

Wow!!! I love it. Anxious to hear about all the DIY, especially the floor lamp.

Devaney said...

Love it! Fabulous job, I'd like to move in!

Cindy Hattersley said...

Great job! Love that you incorporated so many vintage finds!!

Decor To Adore said...

Wow~ An absolutely stunning space! I love the pale pink walls and touches of gold. As a fellow 6 week participant the six weeks was indeed a challenge and you rose up. Well done!

Rachel Baddorf said...

Wow! That is one gorgeous apartment! What a lucky sister! I love all the gold touches and the books make it feel so homey.

pam {simple details} said...

Absolutely lovely!! That mural in the dining room is stunning, love the pretty pink touches throughout! And, all the stacks of books give it the perfect Parisian feel!

Shannon said...

This is stunning! The color combination makes me swoon. And you are gorgeous!

Prix Decor said...

BU TI FUL! You did it with this one Rosa! I absolutely love the space!

Carrie @ Cosy Carolina Interiors said...

WOW!!! Speechless! This is soooo good! :)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Tell your sis to step aside b/c I'm moving right on in, m'kay?! What a lucky sis to have you! This is quite simply, stunning. Beautifully edited and balanced. Right amount of grand parisienne dame meets Italian modernista. Just made that up, but it works. As does all of your choices. Love the classic symmetry mixed with the modern art and the grisaille mural is the MOST. Also love the screen and the balanced gallery wall! So so so so good. Glad to have connected thru the ORC!

Mary Meyer said...

Wow!! Absolutely stunning. I love the floor lamp and those wings. You knocked it outta the park! PS: You're picture is beautiful!

sarahsofiaproductions said...

Rosa, I've been obsessed with this room ever since I found you on ORC! Absolutely STUNNING! I love anything vintage and the thrill of the hunt thrifting and would love to be your assistant for a day. You had great bones to work with but this is magazine worthy! That sofa is fab and so excited for your new line, cheers! BRAVO my ORC friend on a job well done!

epinteriordesigns.com said...

All three spaces are stunning! I love the collected look and how you brought everything together! Congratulations on an awesome job!

Splendor in Spanglish said...

Rosa! OMG!!! This space is GORGEOUS!! Lots of fabulous details. I'm totally in love with the mural and the screen. So good! I'm so glad we connected through ORC! Keep in touch. You are very inspiring.xx.

Erin @ Suburban Bitches said...

Va va voom! And I'm talking about both you and the room! Seriously, there's nothing you can't do lady!! Love the modern artwork and that ivory sofa is so great. Well, well done!!

Kim@The Green Room Interiors said...

Literally drooling over every shot! Absolutely adore the vintage/mod mix. That grisaille wall is something I've long coveted. Great job. She must be thrilled. PS. All of this in six weeks? Awesome!

Jessie said...

Adore everything especially the dining room and that gorgeous mural! I also love many of your finds! Great job.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Rosa said...

Friends!

To hear all of your comments and excitement over this space I designed feels quite incredible and makes all the long hours completely worthwhile.

THANK YOU for taking the time to tour my space and tell me your thoughts. You're the reason I do this and I'm thrilled each and every time I hear from you. Let's keep this dialogue going!

Merci merci merci beaucoup,

Rosa

LIV Vintage said...

That mural, screen, citron chairs, everything is WONDERFUL. Great job!!

Carin Goldstein said...

WOW!!!! A-MA-ZING. Amazing....love every bit of it...bravo. ;)

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog in the Orc...you did an amazing job with your sisters space, she must be thrilled! My favorite thing was the huge gold entry mirror, I was sure it was an antique but saw that it was from ikea...woo hoo, I have one 5 minutes away....this is provably a lame question but could you tell me what spray paint you used..brand and color and did you have to prep at all? Thanks so much..
Sharon

stephanie at Stephanie Kraus Designs said...

wow you did all of this in 6 weeks limited budget talk about talent! I love the pillow combination on the sofa and all of the gold and art! beautiful job!!

Rosa said...

Hi Sharon -

Your best bets for gold spray paint would be either Rustoleum in "Brass" (not their "Gold" which tends toward a pinkish hue) OR even better, Design Masters in "Gold."

I'm glad you discovered the Ikea Songe mirror by touring my ORC space! It's enormous and beautiful and I've used it again and again.

It's also pretty in the silver leaf finish that it comes in...check it out in this master bedroom I designed:

http://rosabeltrandesign.blogspot.com/2014/10/larchmont-bungalow-tour-part-1-master.html

Thanks for your question!

Elaine said...

Great transformation. Love the gold accessories and pops of color.

Elaine
OMG Lifestyle Blog

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

beautiful transformation! Great pieces and styling. Congrats!

Emily Palmier said...

Great work! The screen turned out beautifully... and those angel wings are fantastic! I'm so sad those gallery wall frames aren't available in the midwest they are gorgeous and a great price!

Lisa @ Trapped In North Jersey said...

wow, that came out totally amazing. Great job. I especially love the dining room.

Improvement List said...

I love everything about this space. What a great job.

emily said...

really love the contrast of the modern art with all the gold and glam. and, the color palette is fantastic. really great job!!!

Melissa @ A Prudent Life said...

Gorgeous contrast of old Paris & modern! The sofa you designed is AMAZING, and the DIY light is perfect. Well, really, the whole space is perfect!

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

I honestly think you took on the most of anyone in the ORC and you absolutely knocked it out of the park. I would NEVER have guessed that this was a budget reno - it looks more like something that a decorator to the stars would have charged someone $100,000 for. Unbelievable!

KKButler said...

Hi Rosa, I continue to be an avid reader of your blog, and I was so delighted to follow your progress with this challenge. You have absolutely mastered the look of the rooms having been decorated over time....there is nothing "trendy" in this space - it is stylish and timeless! You have inspired lots of decor and ideas around my house. Congratulations on this challenge!

Dana Casey said...

rosa, such an amazing job! i'm partial to your design style, but you mixed it up and it all blends together seamlessly. and, yes we are "bust" sisters! living in a large city definitely has the advantage of super great resale shops, you have found some really nice pieces here. love just about everything here. dana

Merlyn Corcoran said...

Such an elegant apartment - straight from the 7th arrondissement! don't let the landlord in or your sister's rent will be tripled.
Congratulations on completing this inspired transformation.

Angela, blue i style said...

I would have never guessed this was outside of your normal design style because it all came together so perfectly. I love the balance of modern and "grandma". Amazing job!

Brenda said...

I have watched this transformation each week and was looking forward to seeing the results. I love using vintage/thrift items and was excited to see how you put them together. The sofa you designed is PERFECT! Wow, just wow. The dining room with the soft pink walls and that mural just took my breath away.

I have only one question: May I be your sister too?

The Pink Pagoda said...

Rosa, this is stunning! I can't believe how much you did! It looks fabulous :)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

What a transformation! So much detail and thought throughout. Well done.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

oh my gosh, so many pieces I love here... the dining chairs, the mirror, the mix of tables, the layout. awesome job!!

Shelia Dowd said...

Oh.my.goodness...you did an outstanding job! I love the dining room colors! All of it is fabulous! I don't know how you pulled off this much work in six weeks! Great job!
Shelia @ House of Highlands

tara martel said...

beautiful, classy and full of eye candy! great job :)

Rosa said...

Thank you to each and every comment on this post ... it makes me so happy to hear what you think!

I'm glad you enjoyed seeing this project as much as I enjoyed creating it.

xoxo

kate@willowinteriors said...

First, sorry I’m just now getting over here! I hit publish on my room and ran out the door on vacation. Secondly…this space is stunning! You nailed it! The fireplace mirror and styling, the foyer, the stacks of books, that sofa and mural(!!!) and the gallery wall...I love it all! Well done!

Tiffany said...

Omg, I love everything! And this was on a budget? I can't believe it. Is the grisaille from anthropologie?

Anonymous said...

Rosa, love it! Please tell me what is the color you used on the living room walls...thanks!

Rosa said...

The living room walls are Ben Moore OC-52 Grey Owl.

Thanks for reading!!

Belinda Hernandez said...

I know this post is almost a year old but i'd like to know, in detail, how you painted the songe mirror gold and exactly what you used. I would like to surprise my daughter with it for Christmas! Thanks!!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...