JANUARY "YEAR OF CHANGE" CHALLENGE: BRING OUT THE PAINT!

We're baaaaaaaack.  Our "Year of Change" series is back after a December holiday hiatus, and this time around we're bringing you a painting project!

My design cohorts and I are all about inspiring you on a monthly basis with small and entirely doable projects around the house.  This time I used one of my favorite tricks that takes little effort but has a big impact on a room:  painting an accent color on the backs of your shelves.

First let's peruse some inspiration rooms to get the wheels turning, shall we? ...

(all photos via my "Bookshelves" Pinterest board)

I just love that unexpected rosey-red and kelly green color palette grounded by lots of crisp white!

The soft blush tones in the office below are feminine yet still completely sophisticated.


This hot pink pumps up the volume a bit ...


But you don't have to go all technicolor with your approach.  
Subtle neutrals also add a lot of depth and are a really nice touch ....


(Speaking of neutrals, I wrote a big shelf styling tutorial that included lining that backs of a built-in bookcase with grasscloth wallpaper for some fabulous neutral texture.  Check it out.)






Blue and white is a forever classic color combo that you can't go wrong with! 









 Dark and dramatic is always high-impact ...






These fuchsia built-ins are the wild card of the bunch.  Obviously this involved more than just painting the shelving backs, but whoah!  It's a statement and I love it.








And lastly we have these very pretty coral-backed shelves ...




I chose coral as well for this painting challenge because it was perfectly suited to my client's Chinoiserie Chic living room (which I've shared peeks of here and here.)

Here we have the "before," with two small arched niches just begging to be dressed up with a little color. 


Since we painted the walls, beams, fireplace, etc bright white, I knew we could handle some color intensity elsewhere in the room.  We chose a gorgeous coral velvet for the tufted chaise, so it made sense to repeat it on the backs of the shelving niches as well.


I picked Benjamin Moore's "Pinata," and broke out my trusty 4" foam mini roller which is perfect for small jobs like this.  A 1.5" angled brush makes it easier to freehand the edges.


Progress shots ...



We're still finishing up with the desk installation, furniture, lighting, and lots of custom pillows, so this room isn't done by a long shot.  Nothing's been styled.  I just staged the niche with a few tchotchkes that my client had lying around to give you a better visual.  

So everything will change again (like the leopard rug...that didn't make the final cut) before we're through, but I think this gets the point across about the impact of a little paint!


I love love love how the rich coral hue in the niche plays off the amazing embroidered "statement" curtains we had custom made.




You'll have to wait for the full room reveal to see the pulled-back shots and the whole put-together space.  Such a tease, I know.

Now go check out this month's painting projects from my fellow designing and blogging dynamo gal pals!

*Tricia and Erin the Suburban Bitches 


And catch up on our 2014 "Year of Change" challenges:
September: DIY Wall Art
November: Style Your Bed


Happy weekend!


2 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

What a killer color! SO gorgeous. This space looks amazing girl!

SHERRY HART said...

Love that impact!!! Great color....especially with the curtain pattern....

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...