* I kicked the year off at the Alt Summit conference where I gleaned lots of useful information about launching my own line of upholstered furniture to be sold online nationwide. I arrived at Alt with the seeds of that idea rattling around in my head, and now one year and plenty of hard work later, I've designed, fabricated, and created pristine studio images of dozens of my own furniture designs for my new commerce website set to launch within a month or two. It's been a really exciting endeavor and we're almost there!
* We created a monthly "Year of Change" design challenge with an awesome group of fellow design bloggers I met at Alt. Each month these gals and I tackled everything from painting to patios. Check out a list of most of my monthly challenges here.
* My LA "fixer" house in Silverlake that I'd overhauled from top to bottom was featured on Domaine Home just before I sold it and moved.
* My Larchmont Village Bungalow client project was published in Rue Magazine.
* And the living room of that project made me the winning designer of the Lamps Plus Design Dual. Always fun to win a contest!
* I hired an assistant, my first real employee since I went solo with my design career a few years back, which is a very big step for a small business owner! Melanie is studying design through the UCLA extension program and has made herself absolutely indispensable in every way. For one, my new furniture line would not have gotten off the ground (or at least as close as we are to lift-off) without her. Thank you M!
* I created this "Parisian Chic" apartment from scratch for the One Room Challenge. On a shoestring, thrift store budget nonetheless, with TONS of DIYs that I broke down for you here and here.
* I very recently joined the roster of designers at Homepolish, a multi-city rising star design firm that's been kicking some serious butt and creating gorgeous spaces like the home office below. So keep an eye out for our collaborations in the year to come!