DOUBLE PISCES BIRTHDAY WEEK!

My son was born on my birthday eve, so each year he and I get to celebrate a week-long birthday bonanza.  This past weekend we threw Benicio's "Big 3" party at one of our favorite spots, the antique carousel that sits tucked away up in the trees of Griffith Park.

Being east siders in LA, Griffith Park has always kind of doubled as our back yard.  It's the largest municipal park in the country, and although it sits smack dab in the middle of LA's urban tangle, it somehow has miles of remote hiking trails along ridges and canyons, plenty of wildlife including coyotes and mountain lions (!?), a secret Redwood grove that Benicio and I think is inhabited by fairies, and special destinations like the art deco Griffith Observatory, the Zoo, and this place. 


On Sunday we set up camp (just far enough away to not be driven completely batty by the carousel tunes on repeat) with a couple of teepees, a face painting salon, and lots of balloons of course, and the festivities commenced.  In spite of a rather daunting forecast of rain for the entire weekend, somehow our day looked like this! Winning right from the start.








The gang all traipsed up to the carousel for a thrilling ride (seriously, this is the fastest merry-go-round I've ever been on.  It definitely puts the wind in your hair!)






My little chocolate lover (who definitely takes after his mama in that regard) got his wish...


 


I got my wish too, because it's a pretty amazing day when my former husband and I, together with our families and friends, can all come together to celebrate this little boy whom we all love so much.  That's truly the greatest gift we can give him.  Divorce is never what you plan on, but I know it can sometimes be the right choice, especially when it's about safeguarding a peaceful and loving environment when kids are involved.  Families come in all shapes and sizes, and ours is now this funny little blended mash up, but it works!  And I couldn't ask for anything more.

Happy Birthday my little one!  You are the light of our lives!

xo,











































1 comment:

Franksfamilyandfriends said...

Cheers to your beautiful and loving family! Happy bday B! Sorry we missed your celebration. Xoxoxo

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...